We were in celebration mode last month as we raised a glass to a number of prestigious accolades for our wines. Every time we win an award, it reminds us that what we are doing every day on our beautiful estate nestling in the Drakenstein Valley – striving to create exquisite, high quality, premium wines – and it is working! This makes us unbelievably proud of every person at Boschendal who works so hard to create such fine wines.
Here is a wrap up of the awards won in October:
Eight of our wines scored 90 or more in the latest Tim Atkin 2018 South African Wines Report. Our Boschendal Elgin Chardonnay 2016 was one of just 159 out of 1980 wines to score 95 points or more.
The full list of Boschendal high scorers is as follows:
- Boschendal Elgin Chardonnay 2016: 95 points
- Boschendal’s premium Jean Le Long Prestige Cuvée 2008 vintage: 94 points
- Boschendal Heritage Collection Black Angus 2015: 93 points.
- Boschendal Grande Cuvée Brut 2013 : 92 points
- Boschendal Elgin Sauvignon Blanc 2017: 92 points
- Boschendal 1685 Chardonnay 2017: 91 points
- Boschendal Elgin Pinot Noir 2016 : 91 points
- Boschendal Heritage Collection Grande Syrah 2015: 91 points.
Our marketing manager Shirley van Wyk says, “Tim Atkin is one of the wine world’s most respected figures. He plays a significant role in benchmarking wines around the world and cementing South Africa’s reputation as a top wine producing country. We are honoured that he scored our wines so highly and thank him for his contribution to our industry,”
Six Nations Wine Challenge: our Jean le Long Prestige Cuvée 2008 won gold in this challenge between Australia, Canada, Chile, New Zealand, South Africa and the USA which sees a highly prestigious judge from each country each selecting 100 wines to enter into the challenge.
Jean le Long is an exquisite Cuvee Blanc de Blanc made from Chardonnay grapes which are exclusively selected from high altitude cool vineyards – giving it a rare and ultra-premium quality that sets it apart from wines the world over.
And finally, we are incredibly proud of our accolades at the Veritas and Michelangelo Awards as follows: